Essay Question Holocaust
Hist 353 Holoucaust
Be sure to answer all 5 questions. Provide and cite the sources you used to complete the exam. The answers should be in your own words and reflect your understanding of the readings. Each essay question should be 1 page in length, 250-500 words.
1. Based on either Survival in Auschwitz or Night, explain how the experiences of Levi or Wiesel fit into the larger themes of the Holocaust. Think about how survivorsâ€™ accounts bear witness.
2. Compare and contrast the perspectives of the authors of War Against the Jews and Perpetrators in addressing the major issues regarding the Jewish victims of the Holocaust?
3. What happened to the disabled and the Roma (Gypsies) during the Holocaust and why?
4. Select two groups referred to in Perpetrators, Victims, Bystanders as bystanders, that is, churches, Allies, neutrals, messengers, etc., and explain their behavior during the Holocaust.
5. Pick two of the examples: Rwanda, Iraq. Compare and contrast the reasons for, implementation of, and consequences of these genocides. Can you explain why these genocides occurred after the Holocaust and United Nations 1948 Convention against genocide?
Reference must be used:
Hilberg, R. (1992). Perpetrators, victims, bystanders: The Jewish catastrophe, 1933-1945.
New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc. ISBN 978-0-06-099507
Dawidowicz, L. S. (1986). War against the Jews: 1933-1945 (10th ed.). New York, NY:
Bantam Books. ISBN 978-0-553-34532
Totten, S. & Parsons, W. S. (Eds.) (2012). Century of genocide: Critical essays and
eyewitness accounts (4rd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge. ISBN: 978-0-415-87192-1
Wiesel, E. (1960). Night. New York, NY: Collier. ISBN 978-0374500016